Ph.D (Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore-Institute of Bioinformatics, Bangalore)
Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore-Institute of Bioinformatics, Bangalore
Institute of Advanced Studies, C. C. S. University, Meerut
C. C. S. University, Meerut
- Mechanism/regulation and targeting of RNA splicing in cancers
- Impact of Tumor microenvironment interaction on alternative splicing
- Mapping tumor microenvironment for targeting using small molecules/Abs in cancers
- Harnessing natural products for cancer prevention and treatment through Medicinal Chemistry/Chemical Biology/Drug Discovery
- Sept 2017-present: Assistant Professor, School of Life and Allied Health Scinces, Saharanpur (UP), India
- 2015-present: Honorary Adjunct Professor, School of Biotechnology, Shoolini University, Solan (HP), India
- 2012-2017: Postdoctoral Fellow, Moores Cancer Center, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla
- 2009-2011 Research Scientist, Molecular Biology Laboratory, Institute of Bioinformatics, Bangalore
- 2007-2009 Research Trainee, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
- 2006-2008 Senior Research Fellow (ICMR), Institute of Bioinformatics (IOB), Bangalore
- 2006-2006 Research Trainee, Institute of Bioinformatics (IOB), Bangalore
- 2004-2005 Visiting Res. Fellow, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (IL), USA
- 2002-2004 Visiting Res. Fellow, Department of Biology, Loyola University of Chicago, Chicago (IL), USA
- 2002-2002 Pre-doctoral Visiting Fellow, Northwestern Univ. School of Medicine, Chicago (IL), USA
- 1998-2002 Jr. Med. Tech., Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education & Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh
SELECTED RESEARCH PUBLICATIONS DETAILS
- Kashyap MK, Amaya-Chanaga CI, Simmons B, Huser N, Gu Y, Hallin M, Lindquist K, Yafawi R, Choi MY, Ale-Ali A, Rassenti LZ, Zhang C, Liu S, Smeal T, Fantin VR, Kipps TJ, Pernasetti F, Castro JE, (2017). Targeting of CXCR4-CXCL12 axis in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Journal of Hematology and Oncology (In Press, IF:6.23).
- Leon B, Kashyap MK, Chan WC, Krug KA, Castro JE, La Clair JJ, Burkart MD (2017). A Challenging Pie to Splice: Drugging the Spliceosome. Angewandte Chemie 56:2-14. (PMID: 28371109)
- Zhang X, Maity T, Kashyap MK, Bansal M, Marimuthu A, Jacobs HKC, Belkina N, Venugopalan A, Cultraro CM, Biswas R, Chaerkady R, Califano A, Pandey A, Guha U (2017). Quantitative tyrosine phosphoproteomics of EGFR tyrosine kinase inhibitor-treated lung adenocarcinoma cells reveals potential novel biomarkers of therapeutic response. Molecular and Cellular Proteomics (PMID: 28331001, IF:5.91).
- Barile E, Marconi GD, De SK, Baggio C, Gambini L, Farouk-SalemAbdalla A, Kashyap MK, Castro JE, Kipps TJ, Pellecchia M (2017). hBfl- 1/hNOXA interaction studies provide new insights on the role of Bfl-1 in cancer cell resistance and for the design of novel apoptosis-based therapeutics. ACS Chemical Biology 12(2):444-455. (PMID:28026162; IF:5.09).
- Choi MY, Kashyap MK, Kumar D (2016). The Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia Microenvironment: Beyond the B-cell Receptor. Best Practice & Research Clinical Haematology 29(1): 40-53. (PMID: 27742071, IF:2.74).
- Kumar D, Kashyap MK, La Clair JJ, Villa R, Spaanderman I, Chien S, Rassenti L, Kipps TJ, Burkart MD, Castro JE (2016). Selectivity in Small Molecule Splicing Modulation. ACS Chemical Biology 11(10):2716-2723. (PMID:27499047, IF:5.09).
- Dhar S, La Clair J, Hammons J, Leon B, Yu Z, Kashyap MK, Castro JE, Burkart MD (2016). A Carbohydrate-Derived splice modulator. Journal of the American Chemical Society 138(15):5063-5068. (PMID: 27058259, IF:13.03)
- Kashyap MK, Kumar D, Jones H, Amaya-Chanaga CI, Melo-Cardenas J, Choi MY, Amine Ale-Ali A, Kuhne MR, Sabbatini P, Cohen LJ, Shelat SG, Rassenti L, Kipps TJ, Cardarelli PM, Castro JE (2016). Ulocuplumab (BMS-936564 / MDX1338): A fully human anti-CXCR4 antibody induces cell death in chronic lymphocytic leukemia mediated through a reactive oxygen species-dependent pathway. Oncotarget 19;7(3):2809-2822. (PMID:26646452, IF: 5.00).
- Wu X, Zahari M, Ma B, Liu R, Renuse S, Sahasrabuddhe N, Chen L, Chaerkady R, Kim MS, Zhong J, Jelinek C, Bharbuiya M, Leal-Rojas P, Yang Y, Kashyap MK, et al (2015). Global phosphotyrosine survey in triple-negative breast cancer reveals activation of multiple tyrosine kinase signaling pathways. Oncotarget 6(30):29143-291660. (PMID:26356563, PMCID:PMC4486229, IF: 5.00).
- Kashyap MK, Kumar D, Villa R, La Clair JJ, Benner C, Sasik R, Jones H, Ghia EM, Rassenti LZ, Kipps TJ, Burkart MD, Castro JE (2015). Targeting the spliceosome in chronic lymphocytic leukemia with the macrolides FD-895 and pladienolide. Haematologica 100(7): 945-954. (PMID: 25862704, PMCID:PMC4486229, IF: 6.6).
- Kashyap MK* (2015). Role of Insulin-like Growth Factor-binding Proteins in the pathophysiology and tumorigenesis of gastroesophageal cancers. Tumor Biology 36(11):8247-8257. (PMID: 26369544, IF: 2.92).
- Pawar H, Srikanth SM, Kashyap MK, Telikicherla D, Sathe V, Chavan S, Singal M, Manju HC, Kumar KVV, Vijayakumar M, Sirdeshmukh R, Pandey A, Prasad TSK, Harsha HC, Kumar RV (2015). Downregulation of S100 calcium binding protein A9 in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. ScientificWorldJournal 2015:325721.
- Villa R, Kashyap MK, Kumar D, Kipps TJ, Castro JE, La Clair JJ, Burkart MD (2013). Stabilized cyclopropane analogs of the splicing inhibitor FD-895. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 56(17):6576-6582. (PMID: 23919277, PMCID:PMC3809018, IF:5.58). A commentary on this paper by Prof. Butler in the same issue of JMC entitled, “Remediating Cancer via Splicing Modulation. J Med Chem. 2013 Aug, PMID: 23981063” to describe how important these kind of compounds can be useful in cancer biology and therapy.
- Pawar H, Maharudraiah J, Kashyap MK, Sharma J, Srikanth SM, Choudhary R, Chavan S, Sathe G, Manju HC, Kumar KVV, Vijayakumar M, Sirdeshmukh R, Harsha HC, Prasad TSK, Pandey A, Kumar RV (2013). Downregulation of Cornulin in Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Acta Histochemica 115:89-99. (PMID:22560086, IF:1.34).
- Marimuthu A, Subbannayya Y, Sahasrabuddhe NA, Balakrishnan L, Syed N, Sekhar NR, Katte T, Pinto SM, Srikanth SM, Kumar P, Pawar H, Kashyap MK, Maharudraiah J, Ashktorab H, Smoot DT, Ramaswamy G, Kumar RV, Meltzer SJ, Roa JC, Chaerkady R, Prasad TSK, Harsha HC, Chatterjee A, Pandey A (2013). SILAC-based quantitative proteomic analysis of gastric cancer secretome. Proteomics-Clinical Applications 7(5-6):355-366. (PMID:23161554, PMCID:PMC3804263, IF:2.95).
- Kashyap MK, Pawar HA, Keerthikumar S, Sharma J, Goel R, Mahmood R, Kumar MV, Kumar KVV, Pandey A, Kumar RV, Prasad TSK, Harsha HC (2012-2013). Evaluation of protein expression pattern of stanniocalcin 2, insulin-like growth factor-binding protein 7, inhibin beta A and four and a half LIM domains 1 in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer Biomarkers 12:1-9. (PMID:23321464, IF:1.73).
- Kim MS, Kuppireddy SV, Sakamuri S, Singal M, Getnet D, Harsha HC, Jacob HKC, Kashyap MK, Balakrishnan L, Goel R, Tankala SG, Eshleman JR, Maitra A, Goggins MG, Jaffee E, Iacobuzio-Donahue CA, Kinzler KW, Velculescu VE, Hruban RH, Pandey A (2012). Rapid characterization of candidate biomarkers for pancreatic cancer using cell microarrays (CMAs). Journal of Proteome Research 11:5556- 5563.(PMID:22985314, PMCID:PMC3565537, IF: 4.17)
- Kumar GSS, Venugopal AK, Kashyap MK, Raju R, Marimuthu A, Palapetta SM, Subbannayya Y, Goel R, Chawla A, Dikshit JB, Tata P, Harsha HC, Maharudraiah J, Ramachandra YL, Satishchandra P, Prasad TSK, Pandey A, Mahadevan A, Shankar SK (2012). Gene Expression Profiling of Tuberculous Meningitis co-infected with HIV. Journal of Proteomics and Bioinformatics 5(9):235-244. (PMID:27053842, IF:2.2).
- Telikicherla D, Marimuthu A, Kashyap MK, Ramachandra YL, Mohan S, Roa JC, Maharudraiah J, Pandey A (2012). Overexpression of Ribosome Binding Protein 1 (RRBP1) in breast cancer. Clinical Proteomics 9:7. (PMID:22709790, PMCID:PMC3439379, IF: 3.47)
- Telikicherla D, Maharudraiah J, Pawar H, Marimuthu A, Kashyap MK, Ramachandra YL, Roa JC, Pandey A (2012). Overexpression of Kinesin Associated Protein 3 (KIFAP3) in Breast Cancer. J Proteomics & Bioinformatics 5:122-126. (PMID:26843789, IF: 2.2).
- Pawar H, Kashyap MK, Sahasrabuddhe NA, Renuse S, Harsha HC, Kumar P, Sharma J, Kandasamy K, Marimuthu A, Nair B, Rajagopalan S, Maharudraiah J, Premalatha CS, Kumar KVV, M Vijayakumar, Chaerkady R, Prasad TSK, Kumar RV, Pandey A (2011). Quantitative Tissue Proteomics of Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma for Novel Biomarker Discovery. Cancer Biology & Therapy 4:74-82 (PMID:21743296, PMCID:PMC3218592, IF:2.92).
- Marimuthu A, Jacob HCK, Jakharia A, Keerthikumar S, Kashyap MK, Goel R, Balakrishnan L, Dwivedi S, Pathare S, Dikshit JB, Maharudraiah J, Singh S, Kumar GSS, Deshmane V, Vijayakumar M, Kumar KVV, Premalatha CS, Tata P, Hariharan R, Roa JC, Prasad TSK, Chaerkady R, Kumar RV, Pandey A (2011). Gene expression profiling of gastric cancer. Journal of Proteomics and Bioinformatics 4:74-82. (PMID:27030788, IF: 2.2).
- Kashyap MK, Harsha HC, Renuse S, Pawar H, Sahasrabuddhe NA, Kim MS, Marimuthu A, Keerthikumar S, Muthusamy B, Kandasamy K, Subbannayya Y, Prasad TSK, Mahmood R, Chaerkady R, Meltzer SJ, Kumar RV, Rustgi AK, Pandey A (2010). SILAC-based quantitative proteomic approach to identify potential biomarkers from the esophageal squamous cell carcinoma secretome. Cancer Biology and Therapy 10:1-15. (PMID:20686364, IF: 2.92)
A commentary on this paper wrote by Prof. Anna Mandinova from Harvard Medical School on how SILAC based in vivo labeling can be used for identifying the early detection markers for ESCC and other caners entitled, “Maximizing early detection of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma via SILAC-proteomics” in the same issue of Cancer Biology and Therapy journal.
- Kashyap MK, Marimuthu A, Peri S, Kumar GSS, Jacob HK, Prasad TSK, Mahmood R, Kumar KVV, Kumar MV, Meltzer SJ, Montgomery EA, Kumar RV, Pandey A (2010). Overexpression of Periostin and Lumican in Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Cancers 2:133-142. (PMID: 24281036, PMCID:PMC3827595)
- Chaerkady R, Kerr CL, Marimuthu A, Kelkar DS, Kashyap MK, Gucek M, Gearhart JD, Pandey A (2009). Temporal analysis of neural differentiation using quantitative proteomics. Journal of Proteome Research 8: 1315-1326. (PMID:1917361, IF:4.17)
- Harsha HC, Kandasamy K, Ranganathan P, Rani S, Ramabadran S, Gollapudi S, Balakrishnan L, Dwivedi SB, Telikicherla D, Selvan LD, Goel R, Mathivanan S, Marimuthu A, Kashyap M, Vizza RF, Mayer RJ, Decaprio JA, Srivastava S, Hanash SM, Hruban RH, Pandey A (2009). A compendium of potential biomarkers of pancreatic cancer. PLoS Medicine6:e1000046. (PMID:19360088, PMCID:PMC2661257, IF:13.58).
- Kashyap MK, Marimuthu A, Kishore CJH, Peri S, Keerthikumar S, Prasad TSK, Mahmood R, Rao S, Ranganathan P, Vijayakumar M, Veerendra Kumar KV, Montgomery EA, Kumar RV, Pandey A (2009). Genomewide mRNA profiling of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma for identification of cancer biomarkers. Cancer Biology and Therapy 8:6-16. (PMID:18981721, IF: 2.92)
- Prasad TSK, Goel R, Kumaran K, Keerthikumar S, Kumar S, Mathivanan S, Telikicherla D, Raju R, Shafreen B, Venugopal A, Balakrishnan L, Marimuthu A, Banerjee S, Somanathan DS, Sebastian A, Rani S, Ray S, Kishore CJH, Kanth S, Ahmed M, Kashyap MK, Mahmood R, Ramachandra YL, Krishna V, Rahiman BA, Mohan S, Ranganathan P, Ramabadran S, Chaerkady R, Pandey A (2009). Human Protein Reference Database - 2009 update. Nucleic Acid Research 37(Database issue):D767-D772. (PMID:18988627, PMCID:PMC2686490, IF: 9.2)
- Guha U, Chaerkady R, Marimuthu A, Patterson S, Kashyap MK, Gowda HC, Dowdle J, Gucek M, Bader J, Lash A, Pandey A, Varmus H (2008). Comparisons of tyrosine-phosphorylated proteins in cells expressing lung cancer-specific alleles of EGFR and KRAS imply novel signaling events in EGFR-induced tumors. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 105:14112-14117. (PMID:18776048, PMCID:PMC2531065, IF:9.42)
- Kumar A, Kaushik R, Varshney E, Kashyap A, Kashyap MK,* (2005). Prevalence of Penicillium chrysogenum, its qualitative, quantitative determination and antibacterial activity in Indian soil. Asian J. Plant Sci 4:429-434.
- Kashyap MK,* Saxena SV, Khullar M, Sawhney H, Vasishta K (2006). Role of anion gap and different electrolytes in hypertension during pregnancy (preeclampsia). Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry 282:157-167. (PMID:16317523, IF:2.61)
- Kumar A, Kaushik R, Kashyap A, Kashyap MK,* (2005). Indian honey: a natural product with antibacterial activity against antibiotic resistant pathogens, an “in vitro” study. PJBS 8:190-193.
- Yamout A, Spec A, Cosmano J, Kashyap MK, Rochlin MW (2005). Neurotrophic factor receptor expression and In Vitro nerve growth of geniculate ganglion neurons that supply divergent nerves. Developmental Neurosciences 27:288-298. (PMID:16137986, IF:2.89)
- Kashyap MK,* Kumar A, Emalenkov N, Kashyap A, Kaushik R, Sharma SK, Singh SK, Khullar M, Sharma SK, Bhargave AK, Upadhyaya SK (2005). Biochemical and molecular markers in renal cell carcinoma-an update and future prospects. Biomarkers 10:258-294. (PMID:1619148, IF:2.01)
- Kashyap MK,* Yadav V, Sehrawat BS, Jain S, Kumari S, Nath R, Khullar M (2005). Different antioxidants status, total antioxidant power and free radicals in essential hypertension. Molecular & Cellular Biochemistry 277:89-99. (PMID:16132719, IF:2.61)
- Kh R, Khullar M, Kashyap M, Pandhi P, Uppal R (2000). Effect of oral magnesium supplementation on blood pressure, platelet aggregation and calcium handling in DOCA induced hypertension in rats. J Hypertension 18:919-925. (PMID:10930190, IF:5.06)
- US PATENT: 1. US patent awarded entitled “Anti-Cancer Polyketide Compounds” with WO/2013/14832 published on 10th of March 2013.
CHAPTERS IN BOOK: 1. Khullar M, Vaishnav P, Kashyap M, Ahmad ST, Nath R, Singh SK, Sharma SK (2000). Isolation, purification and characterization of stone matrix promoter protein. In Urolithiasis 2000: 172-173. Edited by A. L. Rogers, B. E. Hibbert, B. Hess, S. R. Khan and G. M. Preminger. Cape Town, South Africa.
- Ad-hoc review for journals: Canadian Journal of Medical Associations (CMAJ), Tumor Biology (Springer), Oncotarget, BMC Cancer, Experimental and Molecular Pathology, European Journal of Clinical Nutrition (EJCN) of NPG group, Cancer (Wiley), Journal of Cancer Science and Clinical Oncology (JCS), World Journal of Surgical Oncology, OncoTargets and Therapy, Proteomics - Clinical Applications, Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology and Treatment, Tumor and Microenvironment, Medical Science Monitor, Indian Journal of Medical Sciences (IJMS), Brazilian Archives of Biology and Technology, and the Scientific World Journal (TSWJ)
- Examiner for evaluation of Ph.D. thesis from following Institutes: Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Pondicherry University, Puducherry, India
- Young Investigator-FAST TRACK Grant of worth Rs. 30 lacs from Department of Science and Technology (DST), Govt of India (ref no. SERC/LS-052/2011, Not Availed).
- National Independent Senior Research Fellowship from the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), New Delhi (IRIS ID# 2006-02010)
MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL BODIES
- Member of the RNA society since 2016 (Membership ID: 1294034, active)
- Member of the Scientific Advisory board since 2005
- Life membership of Indian Society of Human Genetics (ISHG, L/943/2001) •
- Member of the American Chemical Society (ACS) since March 2016 (Membership # 30641749)
- Member of the Royal Society of Chemistry (MRSC, Membership # 624629) since Sep 08 2016
- Member-in-training of the International Society for the Diseases of the esophagus (ISDE)
- Trainee member of the American Society of Investigative Pathology (ASIP)
- Member of the RNA society since 2016 (Membership ID: 1294034, active)
SCHOLARSHIPS & AWARDS
- 2015-Present: Honorary Adjunct Professorship at the School of Biotechnology Shoolini University, Solan
- 2012-2107: Postdoctoral Fellowship, University of California, San Diego
- 2012: Fast Track grant from Department of Science and Technology (SERC) – Not Availed
- 2011: Travel award from ICGEB & Qiqihar Medical University, Qiqihar, China
- 2009: Travel award from American Society of Investigative Pathology (ASIP)
- 2009: Name included in USA Honor Society, USA in 2009 2007-2009
- Research Traineeship, Institute of Genetic Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
- 2008: Name included in MARQUIS Who's Who in Science and Engineering, 2008-09
- 2007-2007 Independent SRF award from the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), New Delhi, India
- 2006-2006 Research Traineeship, Institute of Bioinformatics (IOB), Bangalore
- 2006 Travel grant for attending the short course at RIKEN-RCAI, Yokohama, Japan
- 2004-2005 Visiting Research Fellowship, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (IL), USA
- 2002-2004 Visiting Research Fellowship, NIH-NIDCD, USA
- 2002-2002 Pre-doctoral Visiting Fellowship, NIH, USA
- 1991-1996 National Talent Scholarship by Government of India, New Delhi, India
- 1989-1991 Integrated Scholarship by State Government of UP, Allahabad (UP), India